October 25 has been declared International Artist Day by a group of artists who thought wisely that artists needed their own special day. Not coincidentally, it's also Picasso's birthday. Is it on your calendar? How will you celebrate? Here are some suggestions they give you on their Web site.
1. Have the Mayor of your city proclaim this day, October 25th, as
International Artist Day every year.
2. For a visual exposure have your local media film an interview and do an article about the Artist(s) in your area.
3. Have businesses sponsor an Artist by purchasing a painting for their lobby, or hosting a show.
4. Treat your favorite Artist to lunch or dinner.
5. With so much up and coming new talent out there, why not help
sponsor an emerging artist, through a weekend workshop or fundraiser.
6. Advertise International Artist Day by downloading our logo and using it to print posters or invitations for events.
7. As a gallery owner, host an Open House with as many of your represented Artists in attendance.
8. As an individual art lover, throw a house party featuring your Artist friend(s) and their artwork, of course!
9. Host an “Art Auction” in a restaurant with a guest speaker to
talk about art appreciation, art history (briefly) and the importance
art plays in our society. Charge per plate. This money can be used to
help sponsor new talent in the schools.
10. Send International Artist Day greeting/post cards to all your
supporters to show your appreciation and thank them for honoring
Artists and supporting the arts. (Alyson notes: I love this one! See my recent post on making your collectors feel special.)
11. If you have any type of website, add the International Artist
Day link and feature a different artist of the month, every month with
a short biography.
12. Most of us drive so why not have some magnetic decals or
bumper stickers made to promote International Artist Day to display on
your vehicle. This would help the awareness to develop. Please visit
the gift store.
7 thoughts on “October 25 is International Artist Day”
I am going to celebrate by having a workshop/party in my studio and invite all my local artist pals. We will work in a media none of us have tried yet … encaustic painting. Nothing says “party” like hot wax!
How cool is that? It’s also MY birthday! I’m going to have to plan something special now! 🙂
Hi Paula. I just red your post. It is 2012 already, I wish I had known about the International Artist Day before.
It is my birthday too. Next year I will make an Open Studio event for that day.
Did you really do something special since 2008?
OMG, Rebecca, I LOVE this: “Nothing says “party” like hot wax!” That made my night! Paula: Neat to have your birthday on IAD AND Picasso’s bday.
Greetings Alyson. International Artist Day is coming up again Oct 25th Perhaps you might say something again. Thank you. Chris MacClure
I love the idea of getting the city to proclaim International Artist Day. How will I celebrate? By working on some art. Which what I love to do so it’s really not a celebration. I think I will call family members and tell them to congratulate me. LOL
Pingback: Internationaler Tag der Künstler - International Artist Day - 25. Oktober