Yesterday I shared some tips for having a sale of your art. Now it's time to clarify some things.
- Sales aren't for everyone.
- If you are an artist who has work in a gallery or a number of galleries, you ought to think thrice about having a sale. You could do a lot of damage to your relationship with galleries.
- Certain things lend themselves better to sales. I'll call them “art products.” It's more appropriate to slap a discount on reproductions, greeting cards, T-shirts, and other functional items than to do the same for higher-priced fine art.
- Never put your best and newest stuff on sale! This is devaluing what you do.
- Having a sale just because you need money fast is never a good idea. As was noted in the comments yesterday, sales of desperation are rarely successful.