Missy Graff Ballone, artist and founder of Wellness for Makers, joins the show to discuss the importance of taking care of your most precious asset for making art: your body.
She shares her own background as an artist, massage therapist and yoga instructor, and why she saw a need to provide resources that help artists take care of their bodies so they can make more art, and in turn, run their businesses. She also provides tools artists can use to get started in their new journey towards better health.
In this interview, you will hear Missy talk about:
- How she blended her background as an artist, massage therapist, and yoga instructor to motivate and empower artists through education, mindful living, and movement.
- Why she felt it important to teach artists accessible self-care to improve the longevity of their bodies, and ultimately their careers.
- How it’s never too late to invest in yourself and focus on the key assets—your body and health!
- The importance of creating extra variety in your movements in the studio.
- How we can become more consciously aware of the patterns we create within our bodies, and the most common ailments artists typically endure.
- Some gentle techniques and tools that she finds important and effective.
- The theme of resilience and how it relates to wellness for artists.
Listen to, subscribe, and leave reviews on iTunes.
Missy Graff Ballone Quotes
“We can’t make art without a healthy body.”
“An artist’s number one asset in their business isn’t their mailing list, it’s their body.”
About My Guest
Missy Graff Ballone is the founder of Wellness for Makers™ LLC, an organizationdedicated to motivating and empowering artists through education, mindful living, and movement. Missy graduated with her MFA in Metals from the State University of New York at New Paltz. She is a RYT-500-hour alignment-based yoga teacher and she has been a licensed massage therapist for over 10 years. She created Wellness for Makers™ to make it easier for artists everywhere to locate and share wellness resources.
This episode of the Art Biz Podcast is sponsored by our Art Biz Mastermind Workshops, which are held 4 times a year in various parts of the country.
It’s great that we have this online thing— that I can reach you through your computer, phone or talking electronic assistant. But … there’s nothing like being together and connecting face-to-face. When we’re together, we can accomplish more in two days than if you spent 6 months trying to figure it out yourself.
The workshops center around a core concept: That when you get away from the minutiae of your life in the studio and office, you can see the big picture more clearly, which helps you make a realistic plan that is in alignment with what you want for your art.