When we think about cleaning out we usually think of physical things or digital files. We want to Kon Mari that sock drawer—keeping only the socks that spark joy, of course. Or delete the hundreds of photos we've taken that we'll never use. Not only will we never use them, but we want to make sure nobody else ever lays eyes on them.
But there's another kind of cleaning out that is even more important.
It's the purging of commitments we made at a previous point in our lives. Maybe we really needed them at the time. Or perhaps we agreed to them out of fear. Whatever it was, we've been hanging on to them long past their expiration date.
In this episode of the Art Biz Podcast, I talk with Lea K. Tawd about the obligations she eliminated in 2020 that allowed her to dive deeper into her creativity and step into her business more fully.
We discuss the book she wrote, how she structures her days as a mom with a 6-year-old who has to show up for the virtual classroom, and how she quickly replaced the income from an outside source she had been holding on to out of fear.
Music by Wildermiss.
Lea K. Tawd shares her journey in art, motherhood, and self-care. (1:57)
- Getting back on track when you’re feeling off-center. (6:02)
- Lea recounts the various income streams of her pre-pandemic artwork. (11:10)
- What happens when you stop doing the work that you are afraid to let go of? (14:40)
- How to clean out old obligations in order to turn your ideas into an income stream. (17:44)
- Creating spaces, rituals, and schedules that will increase your energy. (21:19)
- Lea shares the ways that increasing her focus has also increased her income. (23:50)
- Advice for letting go of an income stream that you don’t love. (27:58)
- How to overcome a big, scary thing so that you can do the work you want to do most. (29:26)
- Cultivating the relationships that will support you through the hardest times. (33:17)
- Lea shares what is currently holding her attention in the studio. (34:27)
Lea’s Art & Reiki practice
Printful to create and sell products online
Creativity Unstuck: A Toolbox for Making More Art by Lea K. Tawd
Lea K. Tawd Quotes
“I was able to really let go of work that I had been doing for a long time, that wasn't serving me, and it was getting in the way of me really creating my authentic artwork and my authentic business.”
“I always had this really strong feeling that if I could just stop doing that work and focus on my own business, that I would be successful, and that’s exactly what happened.”
“You have to do things that make you feel uncomfortable. I think really leaning into that fear and letting it be there while you do the thing is really important.”
About My Guest
Lea K. Tawd is an author, mixed media artist and Reiki Master. She uses Reiki in the creation of her art and combines the two to help others find deep inner healing and recover their creativity in private sessions, workshops, and retreats.
Lea seeks out the beauty in every woman and uses that vision to create mixed media art that inspires and heals. She often paints directly on wood, with the grains of the support often informing the work. The finished pieces are Utopian visions of inner beauty manifested that serve as a reminder to take care of yourself, to find moments of peace, kindness, and self-love.
Follow Lea on Instagram @LeaKTawdArtist
Music by Wildermiss.