Without identifying the parties involved, I'll pass on some “gossip” relayed to me by a reliable source about one artist's self-promotion feats.
- The artist had work installed at a major museum in a certain city.
- She created a document that asked people to contact The Reviewer for the city's major paper and urge him to review her exhibit.
- She made numerous photocopies and passed them out to supporters and (if I heard correctly) people she found at the exhibit who liked the work.
- The artist's supporters emailed the critic in large numbers. “Please review The Artist's work in your column!”
- The reviewer relented (“Please! Call off the dogs!”) and ended up writing a nice feature article with several photos.
Do I recommend annoying an art critic? Absolutely not.
Do I recommend being proactive and not waiting for things to happen? Absolutely!