October 25 has been declared International Artist Day by a group of artists who thought wisely that artists needed their own special day. Not coincidentally, it's also Picasso's birthday. Is it on your calendar? How will you celebrate? Here are some suggestions they give you on their Web site.
1. Have the Mayor of your city proclaim this day, October 25th, as International Artist Day every year. While it may be too late for this year, you can get it in the works for 2010.
2. For a visual exposure have your local media film an interview and do an article about the Artist(s) in your area.
3. Have businesses sponsor an Artist by purchasing a painting for their lobby, or hosting a show.
4. Treat your favorite Artist to lunch or dinner.
5. With so much up and coming new talent out there, why not help sponsor an emerging artist, through a weekend workshop or fundraiser?
6. Advertise International Artist Day by downloading our logo and using it to print posters or invitations for events.
7. As a gallery owner, host an Open House with as many of your represented Artists in attendance.
8. As an individual art lover, throw a house party featuring your Artist friend(s) and their artwork, of course!
9. Host an “Art Auction” in a restaurant with a guest speaker to talk about art appreciation, art history (briefly) and the importance art plays in our society. Charge per plate. This money can be used to help sponsor new talent in the schools.
10. Send International Artist Day greeting/post cards to all your supporters to show your appreciation and thank them for honoring Artists and supporting the arts. (I love this one! See making your collectors feel special.)
11. If you have any type of website, feature a different artist of the month, every month with a short biography.
12. Most of us drive so why not have some magnetic decals or bumper stickers made to promote International Artist Day to display on your vehicle. This would help the awareness to develop. Please visit the gift store.