I used to teach an online class called Organize Your Art Biz. I quit teaching it when I realized that there’s no such thing as the right way to get organized.
My guest for this episode of the Art Biz Podcast, Heather K. Powers, figured it out long before I did. As the founder of Creatively Organized Spaces, Heather customizes solutions for organizing systems and storage for her creative clients.
In this interview, Heather and I discuss:
- The stereotype that artists are inherently disorganized.
- Her philosophy for helping artists get organized.
- The biggest pain point artists have when it comes to organizing.
Heather also shares a number of tips, including:
- Know what you want before you start organizing.
- Schedule time for organizing (3-4 hours at a time seems to be a sweet spot).
- Make a plan before you go buy a lot of containers.
- Create work zones.
About My Guest
Heather is known as the creative organizer because two of her passions, organizing and design, collided when she launched her organizing business after a 15-year career as a textile designer. She says:
Curiosity and passion inspire me to find creative and customized solutions for organizing systems and storage. Form + function are the common threads woven throughout the process and I don’t believe that one must be sacrificed for the other.