When I was little, my mother used to get me to clean up my room by telling me that the queen was coming. The room had to look nice because, for some lord-knows-why reason, Her Royal Highness was crossing the pond to visit our humble home on 69th Street in Oklahoma City.
Funny thing. She never came.
I'm not sure when I caught onto Mom’s charade, but the clean rooms didn't last. I loved to pull things out, try them on, and make messes. I still do. And I don't like to clean up.
But I do love a tidy workspace. I can breathe better. I can think better when I know where things are and when I have space.
My guest for the latest episode of the Art Biz Podcast is Fiona Valentine, who shares 5 simple steps to organize your studio and save time, money, and materials while increasing your productivity.
Organizing your studio might not sound like much fun and, honestly, I don’t care what your office or studio looks like. But here’s what I know: Most of my clients are overwhelmed and stressed out. At the same time, most would probably tell you that they aren’t very good at the whole organizing thing.
I’m pretty sure that you’ll alleviate a lot of stress when you take the time to 1) get organized and 2) stay organized by keeping a tidy workspace.
Fiona has adapted a proven 5-step technique — 5S in lean methodology — to her art studio and her outline makes it easy for you to follow. If you listen closely you’ll hear that we added a 6th step (and it’s a fun one). Then you'll be ready if, indeed, her majesty drops in unexpectedly.
Music by Wildermiss.
- How Fiona schemed and put a plan on paper to quit her job and devote herself to an art business. (7:34)
- A messy studio costs you time, money, and productivity. (11:20)
- It's not important to worry about the mess while you're in flow. (13:00)
- A bigger studio won't solve your problems. (13:25)
- Fiona's 5 Simple Steps (5S) that evolved from the lean methodology that her husband was an expert in. (15:00)
- Fiona and her husband sip wine while figuring out how to apply 5S to her studio. (20:00)
- An outline of the 5 Simple Steps (22:45)
1. SORT :: Remove everything from the studio that isn't essential to your current process. (24:09)
– Identify a “white tag area” for those things. (24:42 and 26:12)
2. SET :: Identify a home for every item. (27:05)
– Our mutual devotion to our label makers. (28:12)
3. SHINE :: Establish regular cleaning and repairs. (30:00)
4. STANDARDIZE :: Use labels and photographs to maintain order. (31:34)
5. SUSTAIN :: Make a chart to log weekly maintenance of your space and ask someone you trust to audit your space monthly. (34:43)
– Accountability is key (35:58)
About My Guest
Fiona Valentine is always on the lookout for wonderful landscapes, objects that tell stories and everyday moments just waiting to be shared.
She divides her time between painting in her home studio in Melbourne and teaching. In 2019 she released her first online course explaining color theory. Her Team Building Drawing Workshops help companies improve customer serve by increasing their team's innovation and creativity.
Fiona works in multiple mediums and is currently a guest writer for Australian Artist magazine. Her facebook group, The Confident Artist, supports aspiring artists to build a creative habit and conquer the basics of painting, so they can make beautiful art.
Music by Wildermiss.
Educate yourself about the art business in my Art Career Success System and gain support from a community of ambitious artists and me. Join us now!