Betty Franks loves her business and life as an artist. She just might have found the secret sauce—a healthy combination of passion for the work and a continuing curiosity about business and becoming a better CEO of your art business.
Betty's art business has exploded over the last four years. By 440%!
You can't have and sustain this kind of business growth if you don't have solid systems in place.
As I said back in episode #78, you need reliable systems to help you run a profitable business so that you can spend more creative time in the studio.
At the time of this recording, Betty has over 120,000 Instagram followers and sells paintings almost as fast as she makes them. In this episode, we discuss the digital and analog systems that she depends on to support her growth. She generously shares her real numbers, the new postage system she just started using (update since the recording: she loves it!), and how she organizes all of the digital images of her paintings.
Music by Wildermiss
- Betty Franks shares the moment she fell in love with mixed media and decided to start her art career. (2:20)
- How to find your own style and way of making art. (7:20)
- Staying organized through the process of handling a personal and business name change. (12:25)
- Betty shares her business goals that resulted in a 400% increase in sales. (18:20)
- A breakdown of Betty’s income streams and marketing tools. (21:03)
- Knowing when it’s time to hire help for your art business. (28:13)
- Developing routines that stabilize your workflow. (31:10)
- Simple systems to help manage your inventory. (35:25)
- Building an email list that works for your business. (42:55)
- How to know when it’s time to make process changes for the better. (47:37)
- A look at what is keeping Betty’s attention in the studio. (52:24)
MentionedJCO’s Art Haus in Los Gatos PirateShip.com for small shippers
Betty Franks Quotes
“I love learning, and every day I am always learning something.”
“I’m always so fascinated by how I can improve my art business.”
“There isn’t a day that goes by that I’m not doing something to help move my business and my art forward.”
Related EpisodesTools to Shape Up Your Art Business with Jennifer Printz (episode 79)
How to Increase Your Productivity and Creativity with Art Business Systems (episode 78)
Goals for Artists and What You Should Be Focusing on Instead (episode 71)
Growing Your Art Business on Instagram with Jeanne Rosier Smith (episode 67)
About My GuestBetty Franks was born in Toronto, Canada and raised in San Jose, California. She is a self-taught abstract artist who started painting when she turned 50. Although it seems late in life to take up painting, the timing was just right for her. After a long career in customer service management, Franks was ready to unleash her creative side.
Today her work focuses on her love of fields of flowers and flowers in general. She aims to share the emotion she feels about her subject.
Follow Betty on Instagram: @betty.franks.art
Music by Wildermiss