Unless you've been hiding under a virtual rock, you've been hearing a lot about Google+ (a.k.a. G+) over the past couple of weeks. You've also been seeing more +1 buttons popping up on your favorite sites, like at the bottom of posts here on the Art Biz Blog.
The Google +1 button is Google's answer to the “Like” button. As they say on their site, clicking on the +1 button is like saying “this is pretty cool.”
The initial buzz on G+ is good. This means that more and more people will be using it, which means that you should have a presence.
Even if you decide to hold off on digging into G+, you can still complete your Google profile. If you have a free profile on Google, it will be among the top results in a search for your name. As G+ gains traction, more and more people will land on your profile.
Complete your Google profile to take control of your story online.
To get started, you will need:
- A free Google account. Some people will tell you that you need a Gmail account, but I used my business email to set up my Google account. I'm unclear as to whether or not some of the perks disappear if the Gmail account isn't attached.
- A picture of yourself.
- 15 minutes to fill in the blanks.
In 6 steps, you can upgrade your Google presence.
- Go to https://profiles.google.com/ and click on Create an Account or log in to your existing Google account.
- Select Edit Profile.
- Add a photo of yourself – or two or three.
- Respond to the 13 questions (or as many as you care to respond to) under About. Most require or only need very short answers, and the rest should be as brief as possible. Let your personality shine here!
- Click on Links in the right sidebar and add your website, blog, and other social media accounts.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the Edit Profile “About” page and note your Google+ URL.
Don't worry if you can't finish it all in one sitting. You can always go back and edit.
Just when you think you have it all covered with Facebook and Twitter, Google is taking another stab at the world of social networking. And because they are Google, you can't discount them. Take 15 minutes to upgrade your Google presence.
Are you using G+? Tell us about your experience on the Art Biz Blog:
Click on the button at right to see my G+ profile.