Procedures save you time because you don't have to think about what to do when the steps are in place.
Procedures save you energy because you don't use brainpower or become frustrated over your next moves.
Procedures save you money because Time + Energy = Money.
Artists need procedures for the following:
- Shipping your art
- Handling requests to teach, exhibit, or be interviewed
- Updating records after you've made a sale
- Adding a new product or finished work to your website
- Approaching galleries
- Following up with new contacts
You might also benefit from procedures for:
- Publishing a blog post, guest post, or newsletter
- Announcing a newly completed work
- Promoting an exhibition or event
- Training a new assistant
If you're in need of any of these procedures, I suggest you
1. Write down each step in detail (Step 1, Step 2, Step 3 . . . ). The directions should be so clear that anyone off the street could follow them.
2. Save it to a dedicated file on your computer. I keep all Art Biz Coach procedures in a team Operations Manual on Evernote.
3. Print what you need and keep it in an easy-to-grab notebook, if that works better for you than the computer.
What procedures do you have in place for your art business?